Friday, December 12, 2008

George Lawther was a dear friend from many years past.

As many of you know, his wife, Anne, was the first to share Christ with me in 1971.

She continued praying and witnessing to me and in 1972 God broke through my stubborn heart. I'm eternally grateful for this.

Please pray for the Lawther family.

Anne
sent this email earlier this evening:

'Dear Friends,


My daughter Lynne received a call from the hospital that George died very peacefully tonight. She called me around 9:30 PM.

I have no information yet regarding arrangements, other than that the funeral will be in Southern Pines, NC.

A song that I've listened to and been blessed by today is "No More Night" sung by David Phelps.

The chorus says, "No more night, no more pain, no more tears, never crying again and praises to the Great I Am. We will live in the light of the Risen Lamb." Praise God for that blessed assurance.'

George knew the Lord. He came to Christ a month or so after I did in 1972. His family had been with him during this difficult time and many have covered them in prayer.

Online obit from the Pilot:
http://www.thepilot.com/stories/20081217/news/obits/20081217obLawther.html

Please continue to pray for them as they mourn and as they rejoice, knowing George is safely Home.

As you may have opportunity to share with the family, know that His love and comfort come through His Word. Here are some Scriptures to be considered:

The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in Him. (Nahum 1:7)

Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall. (Psalm 55:22)


May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant. Let your compassion come to me that I may live, for your [Word] is my delight. (Psalm 119:76-77)


Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains!

For the LORD comforts His people and will have compassion on His
afflicted ones. (Isaiah 49:13)

The Lawthers in 1979


I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy
instead of sorrow. (Jeremiah 31:13)

As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy. (James 5:11)

He reached down from on high and took hold of me; He drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the LORD was my support. (Psalm 18:16-18)


2004 at Anne's birthday party

Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.
(1 Peter 5:7)


Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. (2 Corinthians 1:3,4)
2006
The LORD is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. The LORD is good to all; He has compassion on all He has made. (Psalm 145:8-9)

He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain... (Revelation 21:4)


2008

But You are a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love... (Nehemiah 9:17)


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.



And the peace of God,
which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. (Matthew 5:4)

Be still and know that I am God... (Psalm 46:10)

One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that You, O God, are strong, and that You, O Lord, are loving... (Psalm 62:11-12)

I, even I, am He who comforts you... (Isaiah 51:12)

The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. (Psalm 103:8)

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for His promises never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:22-23)

The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous and His ears are attentive to their cry. (Psalm 34:15)


But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us... (2 Corinthians 7:6)

Though [your mother] may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of My hands. (Isaiah 49:15-16)

Praise be to the LORD, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. (Psalm 68:19)

"Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges My name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him." (Psalm 91:14-15)

The LORD is faithful to all His promises and loving toward all He has made. The LORD upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down. (Psalm 145:13-14)

Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good. His love endures forever. (Psalm 136:1)

Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies (Psalm 36:5).

But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness (Psalm 86:15).

Give thanks to the God of heaven. His love endures forever (Psalm 136:26).

The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness" (Jeremiah 31:3).

The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing" (Zephaniah 3:17).

But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved (Ephesians 2:4-5).

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 8:35-39).

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you.
Now remain in my love (John 15:9).

Portions from "God's Love for Me" - Personal Bible Study on God's Love for Us - (c) 2003, 2004 Doug Britton / http://www.dougbrittonbooks.com/onlinebiblestudies-selfworthandrespect/godsloveforusandgodsloveforme.asp

No comments:

Recent Gateway Newsletters April 2024 Gateway Today March 2024  Ga teway Today                               February 2024  Gateway Today J...