Saturday, December 24, 2016

Happy Hanukkah

May you all enjoy a Happy Chanukah (Hanukkah)
 
Two of my four grandparents were from Anavrati, (photo right above: Gavaris family) a small mountainous region near Sparta. (The other two were from Kalamata, a few miles east of this). The population of Anavrati used to be about 1,400; now it is 48 - mostly retired Greeks. 
 
Here is an interesting account from a first-hand resident, answering the question: “ Was Anavriti itself really Jewish: Yes, he replied, that’s what the old people say. According to popular tradition, the village was founded by Jews around 500 AD. 
 
Later on everyone converted to orthodox Christianity, he said, but they were proud of their origins, and disappointed that the young people took no interest in the tradition. Source: http://www.greeknewsonline.com/the-beautiful-village-of.../
 
In an article published in the Oxford Journals, John Launer writes the following about Anavryti: “I found out that the legend of the Greek mountain Jews was not nearly as improbable as it seemed. Indeed, the Apocrypha records contacts between the Maccabeans and the Spartans that go back to the third century BC. Over a millennium later, there were Jews living in Sparta—although a monk named Nikon tried to have them expelled, in exchange for helping the inhabitants to overcome the plague. 
 
A Jewish quarter survived in Mystra itself after the Turkish conquest, only to be burned down later by the more brutal Venetians. Maybe the village of Anavriti had been founded by the survivors of one of these upheavals.
 
By the way, my Aunt Jeanette’s brother was the Paul Bogart (director of All in the Family) 
photo right -below
 

2 comments:

.. said...

With the help of a man called Dr.Addo I was able to get pregnant though his root and herbs. I'm 47years of age, it was really difficult for me to pregnant though my husband loves me but it was really hurting me not having my own child but after many years I came across Dr.Addo. I'm 7months pregnant now through the help of the wounderful man and I will advice everyone looking for help to get pregnant to contact this gretae man via his email at: ( addosolution@gmail.com ) and be happy like me.

from CANADA

Unknown said...

Most of girls always complaining for no pregnancy for those who cannot conceive can try pregnancy miracle - lisapregnancymiraclereview.com it will help them

Recent Gateway Newsletters April 2024 Gateway Today March 2024  Ga teway Today                               February 2024  Gateway Today J...