Thursday, October 28, 2021

 

The ONLY CHOICE? 

Another reason Gateway is vitally needed


Monica Canetta with her husband, Carlo Canetta, and children at Matteo's birth in 2015 in Boston.
Monica Canetta with her husband, Carlo Canetta, and children at Matteo's birth in 2015 in Boston.

I was in the dark shadows of the ultrasound room when I first heard the words “incompatible with life.” I didn’t understand. He was already alive.

The profession certainly made it clear that it supported the choice to terminate. I was still reeling from the ultrasound when the doctor who delivered the news began pressuring me to have a possibly risky and invasive amniocentesis – a procedure to remove some of the amniotic fluid that protects the baby – just hours later. When I declined, the doctor pressed harder, saying further testing was needed to have more "choices." Instead, that day my husband and I gave the baby his name, which is Hebrew for “gift from God.”

In the weeks that followed, a parade of doctors pushed a slew of tests on me. For more choices – that was always their justification. Never mind that I had already made my choice, they only seemed determined to change it. Not once did I hear the words I so craved: “Don’t worry about it. What do you want to do? I will help you.”

So many women facing a terminal diagnosis do so alone. They suffer greatly, unjustly deprived of a supportive community. Too often that injustice begins in the doctor’s office, where women are berated with so-called choices but in reality left feeling as if they only have one. I had to fight for respect for my choice to bring my terminally ill baby into the world, and until I found truly supportive medical care, the doctor’s office was the only place where I did not feel sustained.

After my unborn son's fatal diagnosis, doctors seemed determined to change my 'choice'   - Monica Canetta / Thu, October 28, 2021, 8:01 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/news/unborn-sons-fatal-diagnosis-doctors-120137626.html

No comments:

Recent Gateway Newsletters April 2024 Gateway Today March 2024  Ga teway Today                               February 2024  Gateway Today J...